Some of the medications that are prescribed in the treatment of Infertility require
the patient to administer the medications themselves via an injection. These injections
will either be Intramuscular or Subcutaneous. It is necessary for you to take a few precautions prior to giving yourself any injection. They are:
- Make sure that the area in which you are preparing the medications is clean. Wipe all
surfaces with alcohol and let dry before you begin.
- Wash, rinse and dry your hands thoroughly.
- Gather all the supplies you will need for the injection; syringes, needles, medications, alcohol swabs, gauze pad, band-aid and a proper sharps disposal device.
- Make sure that you read the manufacturers directions for preparing the shot. Each medication
is different and you need to familiarize yourself before you begin.
- Review the types of injections below before giving yourself a shot.